Monday, September 5, 2016

Parity & Clarity

In Celebration of Labor Day 2016, I offer UTA Supervisors a list of the positive reasons to join a union, since there has been some question as to the benefit of joining a union:

Better wages and benefits
Across the board, Union workers typically enjoy:  

Higher wages (27% in 2014);  

Access to employer provided health insurance (94% of Union members vs 65% of nonunion);




Real Retirement options
Pensions provide monthly retirement benefits, called defined benefits, for life. Whether it is the Western Conference of Teamsters Fund, or Utah Retirement Systems, etc, pensions guarantee income for workers after their careers have ended. 

Early Retirement plans give workers a choice to retire after 30 year career while they are still healthy enough to enjoy retirement.

Early Retirement Insurance covers health insurance for the years between early retirement and Medicare coverage.

Supplemental Retirement Strategies such as 401(k)s, Social Security and other similar defined contribution plans were never designed to be the primary engine for retirement.

Retirement security is the leading concern facing aging workers.  Pensions have traditionally been the best defense against elderly poverty
Contractual Protections:
Contracts provide protections most workers only dream about by negotiating working conditions.

Progressive Discipline and Cardinal Infraction language defines the rules in clear and consistent terms.  

Protected Language allows workers to freely express their opinions and observations regarding important topics like safety without fear of retaliation.  

Protected Work Rules do not change when a new manager takes over a work group.  

Due Process gives everyone a chance to plead their case.  

Union contracts provide protection from retaliation and intimidation, including retaliation for union activity or exposing safety concerns.  Not all work environments suffer from abusive managers, but jobs without union contracts have absolutely no protections.  A contract provides a structure to address these concerns quickly and without extra cost to the employee.  

Union contracts ensure equality and transparency.  Pay scales are consistent across skill levels, and are transparent across the board.  Workplace discrimination is outlawed across the country, but justice is slow in the legal world.  Union contracts put everyone on the same playing level.


A union contract gives workers a voice at the work place.  It is up to those workers how they choose to use their voice, but however they express themselves, Union Workers enjoy the greatest level of protected speech in the work place.  Here at Local 222, we think that is a critical protection, after all, it is the FIRST Amendment of U.S. Constitution.

One more link:


3 comments:

  1. I've been a union member for 11 years and can honestly say the benefits and rights I have because of my union are priceless! My pay,pension, health insurance, paid time off, sick days, overtime,daily work guarantee, protection from retaliation, safety standard enforcement, clear grievance procedure, clear disciplinary procedure...the list goes on and on! My local (222) has always been available and extremely helpful anytime I've had a question or problem. I call my union dues "standard of living insurance premiums"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why my comment is by unknown but my name is Brian Sturges and I've been a UPS teamsters for 11 years.

      Delete
  2. My name is Chris Armitage, I'm a Teamster at the UPS Salt Lake hub. Going union is the best move I've ever made. I have great protection from retaliation, am one of the biggest users of the grievance system, additionally I'm also the husband of a twenty year Teamster.
    I started with UPS as anti union, I hated unions and saw them as merely an inhibitor to a business, six months after joining UPS I signed my union application. I've seen people retaliated against, cheated out of work that was theirs, and I've seen managers threaten people for being human. Joining the Teamsters is one of the best moves you can make, and our local is the best in the USA. UPS took a holiday away from us, and Teamsters Local 222 is the only local in the country with the guts to fight for the extra day off. You can't go wrong doing the IBT.

    ReplyDelete